You pass semi-trucks on a daily basis. Whether on the freeway or on the city roads, these important cargo carriers are a vital part of everyday commerce. Because of their large size, it can be difficult to maneuver, stop, or steer correctly. When this happens, accidents occur and people are hurt. If you have been involved in an 18-wheeler accident, it’s time to hire a Lafayette auto accident lawyer to handle your claim. To ensure you get a fair settlement for your pain and suffering, here are a few things you should do following the accident.
- Don’t deal with anyone but your attorney. Following your accident, the trucking company’s attorneys and insurance adjusters will most likely try to contact you. Avoid all contact with them. In many cases, these communications are recorded in an attempt to discredit your claim. Only speak with your attorney regarding the case. It’s one of the best ways to ensure that you receive a fair settlement.
- See a doctor. No matter how minor the incident is, it’s important to be checked out by a medical professional. Many injuries don’t manifest themselves until hours or days after the accident. When you see a doctor, your medical condition is accurately documented. This makes it easier to prove that you suffered due to the accident, therefore giving you a better chance of a settlement.
- Keep your medical records private. When you see a doctor, your injuries are thoroughly assessed and documented. These medical records are key to your case. Take great care not to release them to anyone but your attorney and your associates. If the trucking company’s insurance adjusters get a hold of them, it could impact the settlement that you receive.
- Hire a trustworthy attorney. Never try to handle your case on your own. An accident attorney is well-versed in the laws surrounding the incident. Plus, they know how to deal with insurance adjusters and investigate your accident. With their help, you have an increased chance of reaching a fair treatment.
- Document the accident. If you are able to, photograph the accident after it happens. Before you take your car to be repaired, be sure to take pictures of the damage incurred.
- Save all bills, statements, and receipts. When seeking a fair settlement, it’s important that you know how much your treatment cost. To establish this, it’s necessary to keep all of your prescription receipts, doctor’s bills, hospital statements, and repair bills that you have. When you sit down with your attorney, be sure to hand these documents over to them to handle.
- Follow your doctor’s orders. If you’ve received medical orders to help you recover, it’s important to follow them. Not following doctor’s orders puts your settlement in jeopardy.
- Record your health progress. Recovering from a serious accident takes time. As you heal, take pictures and keep a journal. This helps to establish how serious you take your recovery and the severity of the accident.
Being involved in a semi-truck accident is life altering. If you’ve been the victim of a collision, it’s time to hire an attorney who specializes in 18 wheeler accident settlements in Lafayette. With their experience and these tips, you increase your chances of receiving a fair settlement for your pain and suffering.